Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Autumn is here! (booo!)


On the last day of the sailing season we were able to reach the Verrazano bridge. It was a milestone for my last day of sailing since we had tried to get there the whole summer, and it had been impossible. Every time we were close to the bridge the wind would stop blowing suddenly, the skipper, frustrated would try to maneuver by jibbing or tackling, but nothing would work and at the end all of us would go back to the harbor totally disappointed. It seems in autumn wind is stronger, and the Verrazano becomes a possible goal for the sail boats on the Hudson. With that, the season was over with bright colors. Now what to do with the rest of the autumn? Here's my plan:

1- Reading. Well, I always read but now that the weather is getting a bit chilly, I'm cuddling on my bed with A Confederacy of Dunces, which seems pretty funny and new to me. Before that I read Simone, from the Juan Rulfo's Award winner Eduardo Lalo. That one was a surprise and I totally recommend it to anyone who can read in Spanish.

2- Crochetting. It is actually really relaxing. When you are the kind of person who likes to think and obsess about silly things, this is a good therapy. You have to learn how to focus on counting stitches, and learning new stitches for each new project. This simple task can take your mind out of poisoned thoughts and into feeling productive and healthy inside.

3- Planning trips. Anything goes! From hiking trips to the nearest mountain to a more sophisticated international trip to wherever your budget allows you. That is why I saved my vacation days for autumn. Tickets are cheaper and the weather is mild almost everywhere. If you can go to the Caribbean and charter a boat, I truly congratulate you.

4- Movies. It's a good way to socialize. This year we are having nice options, like Captain Phillips, Gravity, and All is Lost. This last one I particularly enjoyed because... well, it's about sailing.

No comments:

Post a Comment